African Stew RecipeCourse: SoupDifficulty: Easy
Aside from spices and vegetables, this African vegetarian stew contains: Potatoes – white and sweet – and garbanzo beans which are quite nutritious.
also called chickpea, Indian pea, ceci bean and Bengal gram, are a legume which is high in protein and has been cultivated in the Middle East for centuries. One cup of garbanzo beans contains 15 grams of protein.
One large potato does contain 64 grams of carbs but it also contains 6 grams of fiber. Moreover, it has no fat and contains 6 grams of protein.
Sweet potatoes are full of nutrition. As a matter of fact, you may be interested to find out that according to Center for Science in the Public Interest – CSPI – sweet potatoes ranked number one in nutrition of all vegetables.
One medium potato contains 2 grams of protein, almost 4 grams of fiber, 31 grams of net carbs and a slew of vitamins and minerals.
After making this recipe for African stew, consider coming back and leaving a review.
2 tablespoons oil – olive or peanut
1 cup red onions – diced
3 celery stalks – chopped
3 large garlic cloves – finely chopped.
1 large white potato – peeled and cubed
3 medium-large sweet potatoes – peeled and cubed
Salt and pepper to taste
1 can garbanzo beans – 420 g (15 oz) – drained and rinsed
1/2 cup tomato sauce
2 tablespoons flour
1/2 teaspoon harissa – or red chili peppers
1/4 cup of chopped peanuts – again I use the chopper.
3 1/2 cups chicken broth
- In a large saucepan – or Dutch oven – saute the onions in the oil. When it is starting to lightly brown, add the celery and the garlic and cook a few minutes longer.
- Add the potatoes, the beans and 3 cups of the broth and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer – covered – gently until the potatoes are tender.
- Add the tomato sauce and the spices. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix the remaining 1/2 cup of broth with the flour and pour into the stew.
- Simmer uncovered until the stew thickens. Remember to stir to prevent sticking.
- Serve warm with the peanuts sprinkled on top.