Delightful blueberry pieCourse: Deserts, FeaturedDifficulty: Medium
Blueberries are a rich source of antioxidants, which are a great deal to help our bodies. Enjoy the health benefits of this pie, just don’t forget, it is a pretty high-calorie one!
In some regions of the US, particularly in Maine, blueberry pie is so beloved that it has been named the official state dessert. Maine is the world’s largest producer of wild blueberries, and blueberry pie is always the star at local fairs and festivals throughout the state.
300 g (11 oz) white flour
70 g (2.5 oz) sugar
230 g (8 oz) butter
28 g (1 oz) cognac or cold water
30 g (4 tsp) corn starch
500 g (1 lb) blueberries (frozen or fresh)
30 g (3 tablespoons) lemon juice
3 g (1 tsp) lemon zest
100 g (3.5 oz) sugar
- Mix butter and flour using blender
- Add cognac and continue mixing until crumbs are formed
- Add sugar and a pinch of salt. Knead the dough, making 2 balls, one being bigger than other. Leave them to rest in the refrigerator overnight (or for 1 hour if you have limited time)
- In a large bowl, combine blueberries, sugar, starch, lemon juice and zest
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator and let it rest for about 15 minutes. Take the bigger ball and form the bottom layer of the pie from it
- Add the filling, distributing it evenly over the shape of the pie
- Roll out a smaller ball, it is needed for the top of the pie. Cut it into thin strips.
- Form the top layer from the stripes. You can also optionally coat the top layer with egg yolk to give the cake a nice golden color.
- Bake the cake for about 45-50 minutes at 180 degrees С° (380 F)
- Cool the cake to room temperature, cut into portions and serve!