Kielbasa Sausage and Noodles RecipeCourse: NoodlesDifficulty: Easy
Make dinnertime a little bit simpler with this delicious kielbasa sausage and noodles recipe that will be ready and waiting on your table in just 25 minutes. This Polish-inspired dish is a real crowd-pleaser. Because it is prepared in a skillet, you are easily able to alter the recipe as needed to cook for as many guests as you are expecting for dinner. In addition, this sausage recipe also freezes and re-heats wonderfully, making it the perfect choice for leftovers on those busy nights.
Kielbasa is commonly known as Polish sausage and Ukrainian sausage.
There are many different varieties of kielbasa, with the most popular being polska kielbasa. This type is typically sold at most American grocery stores and is what will be used in this sausage recipe. Polska kielbasa is made with premium cuts of meat such as beef, pork and turkey that is then slow-cooked in natural flavors to provide you with a savory and flavorful meal.
In many Polish dishes, this type of sausage is fried with onions and peppers. While this recipe uses a variety of ingredients that you would find in a classic Polish meal, it takes on a bit of an American twist by serving it over noodles with a crushed tomato sauce.
450 g (1 lb.) Polish Kielbasa Sausage
230 g (8 oz) Uncooked Noodles
1 Green Pepper
1 Large Yellow Onion
2 Tbsp. Vegetable Oil
1 Can of Crushed Tomatoes
- Heat 2 tbsp. of oil in a large, non-stick skillet over medium high heat. Fill a large pot with water and bring to a boil over another burner on the stove.
- While you are waiting for your water to boil and your pan to heat, prepare the onion by peeling it and thinly slicing it into strips. Slice and de-seed the green pepper as well.
- Open the package of sausage and cut the links into 3cm (1 inch) slices.
- Once the oil has begun to simmer in the skillet, add in the sliced kielbasa sausage. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes on each side or until the sausage has slightly browned. Remove the sausage from the skillet and place to the side.
- When the water has started to boil, add your noodles to the pot and cook for 10 minutes or as directed on the packaging. Drain and rinse with cool water when they are done to stop the cooking process.
- Add the sliced onion and green pepper to the skillet. Sauté the vegetables for about 2 minutes or until they have softened.
- Mix in the can of crushed tomatoes and heat for 2 to 3 minutes or until hot.
- Add the sausage back to the pan and mix well with the crushed tomatoes and vegetables. Mix in the noodles in the same skillet until covered in sauce and heated through.
- Plate your kielbasa sausage and noodles dish and serve to your guests. This sausage recipe is sure to be a hit in your home.