Cream of Sweetcorn SoupCourse: SoupDifficulty: Easy
Calories per serving
This sweetcorn soup is popular in many parts of the world, in mostly western cultures, such as US, Canada and UK. In the United States, Cream of Sweetcorn Soup is often made with canned creamed corn, which is a processed form of sweetcorn that has been ground and mixed with milk or cream. Sweetcorn is a natural source of many vitamins such as A, B, and C. It is rich in fiber and antioxidants. On the same time it is low in fat and calories. Enjoy this delicious vegetarian soup with Crusty bread, grilled cheese sandwich or a fresh salad.
2 oz Butter
4 oz Onion, chopped
6 oz Potatoes, diced
1 oz Plain Flour
1 1/2 pint Semi-Skimmed Milk
1 Bay Leaf
1/8 tsp Salt
1/8 tsp Black or white Pepper
2x11oz cans Sweetcorn
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan, add the onion and cook for 5 minutes without browning.
- Add the potatoes and cook for a further 2 minutes
- Stir in the flour and then gradually add the milk stirring all the time. Bring to the boil, add the bay leaf and season with the salt and pepper.
- Add one of the cans of sweetcorn, cover and simmer gently for 20 minutes
- Remove the bay leaf and allow the soup to cool slightly
- Using a blender, blend the soup until smooth then return to the pan
- Add the remaining can of sweetcorn and heat through.
- Pour soup into bowls, sprinkle green onion or parsley on top and enjoy!